In early 2015, the Online Lenders Alliance commissioned Bretton Woods, Inc. to conduct an update to last year’s statistical analysis of the customer and loan characteristics of online short-term loans.
The 2015 study includes:
• 15.3 million records from three specialty credit bureaus, covering a three-year period (2012-2014).
• 3.7 million single payment and installment loan records from seven lenders, covering a three-year period (2012-2014).
The intent of the study was to:
• Augment the credit bureau data with lender data to analyze both single pay and installment loan usage characteristics;
• Compare to the baseline data for single pay loans from the 2014 study;
• Comment on the salient trends from 2012 to 2014;
• Review the migration from single pay to installment loan products;
• Catalogue and understand customer demographics and loan characteristics; and
• Comment on these initial customer and loan characteristics metrics.
Additionally, a study was conducted to review and discuss the underwriting techniques of participating lenders, including an analysis of ability to repay. Click below to read the study.
- 2015 Online Short-Term Lending Study Data Sheet
- 2015 Online Short-Term Lending Study Underwriting Fact Sheet
- 2015 Online Short-Term Lending Study Data and Underwriting