When you see the OLA seal, you can trust you’re working with a company committed to the highest standards of conduct, dedicated to ensuring the best possible experience for their customers, fully compliant with federal law, and working hard to protect consumers from fraud.
OLA Consumer Hotline
Have an issue with a fraudulent lender? Call the OLA Consumer Hotline at 1-866-299-7585 and speak with a live operator who can assist you in reporting fraud and navigating the online lending landscape.
Know Before You Owe
OLA and our member companies believe all consumers should be informed about the risks involved with online borrowing. Part of OLA’s mission is to educate consumers about the online lending industry and its practices. We also provide resources, including education and assistance, where appropriate.
- Never borrow more than you can afford.
- Avoid taking out loans with multiple lenders.
- Get the most bang for your buck.
- Always remember the website you got your online, short-term loan from.
- Keep any paperwork, emails, contacts and other information you receive from a short-term lending company.
- Don’t submit personal information, such as your Social Security number, to companies that are not OLA members.
- Get credit counseling help.
- Know who to contact if you think you’re being harassed by illegitimate debt collectors.
All OLA Members Pledge to Uphold the Following Best Practices:
- Ensure consumers are making educated financial decisions by fully disclosing all loan terms in a transparent and easy to understand way.
- Give consumers a chance to change their mind by maintaining a reasonable cancellation policy.
- Be a company in good standing with the officials and regulatory bodies that govern you. Comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Never engage in activities that are unfair, abusive or deceptive.
- Help consumers help themselves by providing referrals to credit counseling, education and assistance when appropriate.
- Use advertising and marketing practices that promote the responsible use of short-term credit services.
- Do not engage in any false, misleading or deceptive advertising campaigns.
- Take applications from consumers and originate loans consistent with all applicable laws.
- Ensure that payments are authorized and processed consistent with federal laws and that consumers fully understand the options for sustained use of loans.
- Provide comprehensive website security and fraud prevention practices that include timely and accurate reports on loan activity, consumer notification of account use and validation of routing numbers.
- Always treat consumers with respect and use fair, professional and non-abusive collection practices.
- Never use unlawful threats, intimidation or harassment to collect accounts.
- Appropriately manage third-party service providers to ensure that consumer information is shared and protected consistent with applicable law.
Report Fraudulent Debt Collectors Online
We are very concerned about protecting consumers. Scam artists pretending to be legitimate debt collectors or law enforcement officials are terrorizing consumers, causing unsuspecting victims to lose thousands of dollars. These actions are in direct violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. OLA has been working with federal, state and local agencies in an attempt to bring these individuals to justice, but we need your help!
Report fraudulent behavior call the OLA Consumer Hotline at 1-866-299-7585.